3.13.2009

Dinner is served!

I never thought the day would come when I would say, "I love to cook!" I never wanted to learn to cook, it never interested me. I guess for some stupid reason I never thought the day would come when I would have to cook. Hmmm... Well, I can honestly say now that I find so much joy in cooking a meal. It's very satisfying. Not only to the stomach but in putting a meal together.

Yesterday Jon and I had his parents and sister over for dinner. I decided to make corned beef and cabbage. Ah, yes! Thanks to the time of year. :)

It was almost 2:00 in the afternoon. I had two big packages of it in the fridge from buying it rather impulsively last weekend when Jon's mom let us know this was the time of year to buy it. I had never cooked corned beef before, I was a little nervous as to how it would turn out. After reading the instructions I called my mom and she stopped by in the afternoon to help me get started and give me a few other cooking tips, which were extremely helpful!

The afternoon rolled on and the wonderful aroma of the corned beef wondered through the house... I then sliced up a perfectly round sweet onion, quartered a head of cabbage and threw them in a pot together along with a bag of baby carrots. It looked so pretty! It was colorful and smelled delicious! That went into to oven next to the beef for the last hour and a half of cooking.

And oh the smell....

I enjoyed the whole afternoon of preparing this meal. It was so much fun and definitely rewarding when it came time to eat it!

This was before it was cooked...I never took a picture of the corned beef but believe me it looked, better yet tasted fabulous!

1 comment:

Emily said...

Bubble n' squeak!!